Leslie's Premium Pool Closing Kit Instructions
Ready to start closing your pool? Follow these instructions to use the chemicals in your Leslie's Premium Pool Closing Kit. This kit contains all the essential chemicals you'll need to winterize a pool up to 35,000 gallons in size, including:
- 4 lbs Fresh 'N Clear
- 1 qt Algae Control
- 1 L Pool Magic+PhosFree
- 1 Stain & Scale Pill
- 1 WinterPill
Leslie's also carries two other sizes of Pool Closing Kits. If you're looking for instructions for the other sizes, click the links below:
NOTE: Temperatures should be consistently below 65ºF before attempting to close your pool. For vinyl liner and fiberglass pools, follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for winterizing. If winterizing a smaller pool with the Premium Kit, follow product label instructions for proper dosing. Always read and follow product label directions for more information about safe handling and application practices.
How to Use a Leslie's Premium Pool Closing Kit
- One week prior to closing, add 1 liter of Pool Magic + PhosFree via the skimmer. Your 1-liter bottle will treat pools 25,000–35,000 gallons in size.
- Clean the pool. Remove large debris with a leaf rake or skimmer net, then brush all pool surfaces and vacuum the pool floor.
- Following the product label instructions, add your pink Stain & Scale Pill to the pool.
- With the pump running at high speed, balance your water according to the following recommended ranges. Remember to never mix chemicals, and always wait at least 1–2 hours between chemical applications. If you need to adjust Calcium Hardness levels, do not add a hardness increaser on the same day as sodium carbonate (Soda Ash) or sodium bicarbonate (Alkalinity Up).
- Total Alkalinity: 80–120 ppm (exact range depends on sanitizer type)
- pH: 7.4–7.6
- Calcium Hardness: 200–400 ppm
- For pools 25,000–35,000 gallons, add 1 quart of Leslie’s Algae Control to a bucket of water, then pour the mixture around the perimeter of the pool with the pump still running. Wait 1 hour.
- Broadcast 1 pound of Leslie’s Fresh ‘N Clear per 10,000 gallons across the surface of the pool with the pump running. Always use the entire 1-pound bag. For a 35,000-gallon pool, you’ll use all 4 bags. Wait 30 minutes.
- Bring your Free Available Chlorine level to 2.0–4.0 ppm if not there already. Broadcast Leslie’s Chlor Brite (sold separately) evenly over a wide area in the deepest part of the pool with the pump running. Use about 3 ounces of Chlor Brite per 10,000 gallons to increase chlorine levels by 1 ppm. Keep the pump running, and wait for at least 8 hours.
- Add your blue WinterPill to the pool according to manufacturer instructions. This product contains enzymes, so do not add it to your pool if chlorine levels are above the recommended range.
- Proceed with winterization procedures as you normally would. Clean or backwash the filter, turn off the power, lower water levels below the skimmer (if applicable), winterize your equipment and plumbing lines, remove non-permanent items from around the pool, and install your winter or safety cover. Or, if you need help, schedule pool closing services with a certified Leslie’s technician.
For more information about how to finish the winterizing process, download and print our easy-to-follow 5-step Leslie's Pool Closing Guide. Your Leslie's Pool Closing Kit, and the instructions above, will be used in "Step 1: Balance water."