Leslie's Deluxe Pool Closing Kit Instructions
When you're ready to start closing your swimming pool, a Leslie's Pool Closing Kit can help take the guesswork out of winterizing chemicals. Follow these instructions to get the most out of your Leslie's Deluxe Pool Closing Kit. This kit contains all the essential chemicals you'll need to winterize a pool up to 15,000 gallons in size, including:
- 2 lbs Fresh 'N Clear
- 1 pt Algae Control
- 1 Stain & Scale Pill
- 1 WinterPill
Leslie's also carries two other sizes of Pool Closing Kits. If you're looking for instructions for the other sizes, click the links below:
NOTE: Temperatures should be consistently below 65ºF before attempting to close your pool. For vinyl liner and fiberglass pools, follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for winterizing. Always read and follow product label directions for more information about safe handling and application practices.
How to Use a Leslie's Deluxe Pool Closing Kit
- Clean the pool. Remove large debris with a leaf rake or skimmer net, then brush all pool surfaces and vacuum the pool floor.
- Following the product label instructions, add your pink Stain & Scale Pill to the pool.
- With the pump running at high speed, balance your water according to the following recommended ranges. Remember to never mix chemicals, and always wait at least 1–2 hours between chemical applications. If you need to adjust Calcium Hardness levels, do not add a hardness increaser on the same day as sodium carbonate (Soda Ash) or sodium bicarbonate (Alkalinity Up).
- Total Alkalinity: 80–120 ppm (exact range depends on sanitizer type)
- pH: 7.4–7.6
- Calcium Hardness: 200–400 ppm
- Add 1 pint of Leslie’s Algae Control to a bucket of water, then pour the mixture around the perimeter of the pool with the pump still running. Wait 1 hour.
- Broadcast 1 pound of Leslie’s Fresh ‘N Clear per 10,000 gallons across the surface of the pool with the pump running. Always use the entire bag of product. For a 15,000-gallon pool, you’ll use both bags. Wait 30 minutes.
- Bring your Free Available Chlorine level to 2.0–4.0 ppm if not there already. Broadcast Leslie’s Chlor Brite (sold separately) evenly over a wide area in the deepest part of the pool with the pump running. Use about 3 ounces of Chlor Brite per 10,000 gallons to increase chlorine levels by 1 ppm. Keep the pump running, and wait for at least 8 hours.
- Add your blue WinterPill to the pool according to manufacturer instructions. This product contains enzymes, so do not add it to your pool if chlorine levels are above the recommended range.
- Proceed with winterization procedures as you normally would. Clean or backwash the filter, turn off the power, lower water levels below the skimmer (if applicable), winterize your equipment and plumbing lines, remove non-permanent items from around the pool, and install your winter or safety cover. Or, if you need help, schedule pool closing services with a certified Leslie’s technician.
For more information about how to finish the winterizing process, download and print our easy-to-follow 5-step Leslie's Pool Closing Guide. Your Leslie's Pool Closing Kit, and the instructions above, will be used in "Step 1: Balance water."