Winter covers are an essential part of pool maintenance, and something that every pool should be equipped with. Great for use in all types of climates, winter covers protect your pool during the long winter months when no one will be swimming. Winter covers are perfect for keeping dirt and debris out of your pool and keeping the water and chemicals in. They also block sunlight and UV rays, helping to prevent algae growth while the pool is unused. Winter Covers are available for both in-ground and above-ground pools, and come in all shapes and sizes. Let Leslie’s help you find the winter cover that fits both your pool and your budget!
Types of Winter Covers
At Leslie’s, we offer winter pool covers for every type and size of pool available. Some of the covers are thick, and designed to protect the pool from falling debris and curious animals, while other covers are lightweight and built for easy set-up and removal. Additionally, above-ground pools require a different style of pool cover than in-ground pools. Be sure to check below to determine which winter cover you need to protect your pool all winter long.
Tips for Installing a Winter Cover
- Installing a pool cover will be a much easier task with TWO people.
- After pulling the cover across the pool, anchor each end with several Water Bags.
- Loosely drape the cover over the entire pool, and tuck the cover flat against the pool walls and surface.
- Use water bags or Winter Cover Blocks around the edge of the cover, placing them 18 inches apart. If you live in a particularly windy area, it may be best to place the water bags end to end.
- Be sure not to fill the water bags completely full. By filling the water bags between ½ and ¾ full, this prevents the bags from rolling around or tearing if the water freezes.
- An Air Pillow should be installed on the pool surface, underneath the cover. Air pillows are designed to keep the pool cover off of the water, protecting the cover and pool equipment from freeze damage.
- Air Pillows should be inflated only halfway, to prevent bursting from ice pressure. Ropes can be tied around the pool edge and through grommets located on the air pillow to keep them in place during the winter.
- After the cover is installed, Leslie’s recommends installing a Leaf Net over the winter cover. Leaf Nets catch all debris, and make spring opening even easier.
If you have any questions about finding and installing a winter cover that is right for your pool, please call us at 1-800-LESLIES or visit your local Leslie's store to speak with an expert. Be sure to check out our large selection of Pool Winter Closing products to protect your pool and spa through the off-season.