Tips for Installing Water Bags
Water bags are the easiest and most effective way to hold down your winter pool cover. Built from heavy-duty vinyl designed to withstand sub-zero temperatures, water bags provide peace of mind. Once installed, you know your pool cover will be secure all winter long. It's just a matter of knowing which type to get and how to install the water bags correctly.
Water bags are designed to sit around the edges of your winter cover. They keep the cover firmly in place, even in the windiest conditions. All of Leslie's Water Bags are made from durable vinyl that has been treated with UV inhibitors, as well as antibacterial and antifungal additives. Built using non-leak seams and valves, they will hold up during long, cold winters. Leslie's offers many different sizes and types of water bags, including single channel, double channel, corner bags, winter cover blocks, and above ground cover weights. Keep reading to learn about which water bags you should have, how many you need, and how to install your water bags or blocks properly.
Tips For Installing Water Bags
- If your pool cover came equipped with water bag loops around the edge, use single channel bags. If the cover came without loops, use double channel bags or winter cover blocks.
- Place water bags around the perimeter of the pool cover, 18 inches apart. In very windy areas, it may be beneficial to place the bags end-to-end.
- Only fill water bags 1/2 to 3/4 full. Water will need room to expand when frozen. A small amount of non-toxic pool antifreeze may be added to help guard against freeze damage.
- Never use sharp or abrasive items such as bricks, cinder blocks, or railroad ties to weigh down your pool cover. To prevent rips and tears, always use water bags or winter cover blocks.
- If you experience problems with small animals or birds poking holes in your water bags, consider switching to winter cover blocks.
- Prior to installing your water bags and winter cover blocks, they can be filled using a standard garden hose.
How Many Water Bags Do I Need?
If you have any other questions about water bags or how to close your pool, feel free to call or visit your nearest Leslie's location. We carry a large selection of pool closing chemicals, tools, and accessories to protect your pool or spa through the cold winter off-season.