How to Choose the Right Pump and Filter Size for an Above Ground Pool
Shopping for a new pump and filter for an above ground pool can be a daunting task. Where to start? The following video explains what size pool pump and filter needed for an above ground pool. Whether you have a round or oval pool, this video will explain the things to keep in mind while shopping. This will help while choosing the right size filter system for your above ground pool.
What Size Pool Filter is Right for My Above Ground Pool?
When choosing a pool filter for your above ground pool, there's a helpful rule of thumb to keep in mind:
- Sand filters: at least 1 square foot of filter area per 10,000 gallons of pool water
- Cartridge filters: at least 100 square feet of filtration area per 10,000 gallons of pool water
It never hurts to go a little on the larger side here.
What Size Pool Pump is Right for My Above Ground Pool?
No matter which size of pump you get for your above ground pool, one of the most important considerations is to make sure it doesn't overpower your pool filter. When you select a paired filter and pump system, you won't have to do the research and wonder if they'll function together. That work has already been done for you!
Round Above Ground Pool:
- For round pools up to 24 feet, use a 1 HP pool pump.
- For round pools over 24 feet, we recommend using a 1.5 HP pool pump.
Oval Above Ground Pool:
- For oval pools up to 15 × 30 feet, use a 1 HP pool pump.
- For oval pools over 15 × 30 feet, we recommend using a 1.5 HP pool pump.
Find the Correct Pump and Filter System
Luckily, as we mentioned above, most above ground pool filters are sold as a combo system, paired with a pool pump. These systems take the guesswork out of finding the perfect combination of pump and filter for your pool. Leslie's offers numerous above ground pool filter systems to take the hassle out of researching, calculating, and finding the right pump and filter needed for your above ground pool.